In our school division we have PAAL schools. The teachers in these schools will choose a goal and work with coaches and superintendents towards the achievement of their goal throughout the school year. When contemplating an area I would like to grow in, my passion (math) and my desired area of growth (FNIM incorporation into teaching) melded. Therefore, my focus this year is ways to incorporate FNIM (First Nation, Inuit, Metis) content into mathematics. The purpose of this blog is to share ideas, thoughts, lessons and methods I've tried in my classroom.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Talking Stick

Incorporating FNIM content, ideas, methods accurately and appropriately is something I'm working very hard to do in my grade 3 mathematics classroom this year.  One of the first things I've done to work towards achieving this goal is to use a talking stick.



This stick we used was natural and came from a willow tree.


The stick is plain in nature but I know that various talking sticks are available and used in classrooms.  They can have carvings and representations along with feathers, beads, etc.  I learned more about talking sticks and the use of them from speaking with my math coach, our FN coordinator and resourcing http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TraditionalTalkingStick-Unknown.html.  A talking stick must be passed in a clockwise manner and only the person holding the stick may speak.  The rest of the members in the circle listen actively and respectfully to the ideas presented.

I used a talking stick at the beginning of each math pod (during a 1 hr lesson - 3 pods at 20 min each) and had students share what they knew about even and odd numbers.  The students were very good at showing respect to the talking circle and use of the stick.  Upon reflection, I don't believe I would use a talking stick for this purpose in a lesson of similarity in the future.  As the students spoke, it occurred to me that the topic didn't necessarily foster participation from each student since the topic was narrow and after one idea was presented, it was difficult for many to build on with other/new ideas.  Also, there were times when I wanted to interject and further prompt students but couldn't.  I will continue to find other ways to use a talking stick in math class along with other subject topics.  Perhaps a whole class situation as opposed to pod work in order to give more time to the activity.  

For more information on Talking Circles: http://firstnationspedagogy.com/talkingcircles.html

1 comment:

  1. Like where you are going Randeen. Thank you fir sharing your journey as well.

    ReplyDelete