In our school division we have PAAL schools. The teachers in these schools will choose a goal and work with coaches and superintendents towards the achievement of their goal throughout the school year. When contemplating an area I would like to grow in, my passion (math) and my desired area of growth (FNIM incorporation into teaching) melded. Therefore, my focus this year is ways to incorporate FNIM (First Nation, Inuit, Metis) content into mathematics. The purpose of this blog is to share ideas, thoughts, lessons and methods I've tried in my classroom.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Berry Mass Extension

So to extend on our berry mass findings from yesterday's lesson, today we compared our berries at a 1:1 ratio.

Again, we made predictions as to what we figured would be the heavier of the two and then we started to compare using our balances.

What we found was quite interesting! On a 1:1 comparison, our FRESH berries were the heavier ones this time. The class continues to speculate on why this could be, ie. bigger size of the item being weighed, size of berries within their own group (ie. some strawberries were bigger than others).

We had a lot of fun with these lessons and I loved how the students found ways to extend their learning.  They also enjoyed being able to snack on the rest of the berries (untouched ones of course).





No comments:

Post a Comment