In our school division we have PAAL schools. The teachers in these schools will choose a goal and work with coaches and superintendents towards the achievement of their goal throughout the school year. When contemplating an area I would like to grow in, my passion (math) and my desired area of growth (FNIM incorporation into teaching) melded. Therefore, my focus this year is ways to incorporate FNIM (First Nation, Inuit, Metis) content into mathematics. The purpose of this blog is to share ideas, thoughts, lessons and methods I've tried in my classroom.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Perimeter and Area

I found this neat activity the other day in my hunt for FNMI math material.  In our grade 3 math curriculum linear measurement unit we look at perimeter but not necessarily area.  However, this could be adapted for perimeter and the area portion could be used as an extension activity or for those grades/other curricula that encompass this concept.  Also, the use of the term "Kokum" lends nicely into cultural dialogue of terms for grandmothers and grandfathers worldwide (and can include the various cultures found in our own classrooms).

Again, this activity is from the Saskatchewan Government (alas, the document in whole which I can not seem to find online).  If any of my readers come across such document or know of it's online whereabouts, please let me know as I'd love to direct link it to my website for further acknowledgements.


No comments:

Post a Comment